Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Kiambu and Salmonella Thompson Infections Linked to Imported Maradol Papayas
- The outbreak investigation has expanded to include another strain of Salmonella.
- Sixty-four more ill people from 15 states were added to this investigation since the last update on July 21, 2017.
- Six more states have reported ill people: Connecticut, Delaware, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin
- Laboratory tests showed that the strain of Salmonella Thompson isolated from papayas collected in Maryland is closely related genetically to clinical isolates from ill people.
- FDA tested other papayas imported from Mexico and found they were contaminated with several types of Salmonella.