Borneo – Grilled fish stalls closed by health inspectors after food poisoning incident

The Borneo Post

SANDAKAN: The famous grilled fish stalls in Pasar Sim Sim (Sim Sim Market) here were closed on April 4 by the Health Department after six people were admitted to the Duchess of Kent Hospital here for food poisoning on April 3.

Sandakan District Health Officer Dr Johari Awang Besar who visited the site today said that the Health Department had decided to close the market in accordance with Section 18 (B) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.

Awang said an inspection and assessments were conducted on the market by health officers after the department received a notification from the hospital that the six patients were suffering from symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach pain.

He revealed that there were a few “flaws” that may have caused the food to become unsafe for consumption.

“Raw seafood was stored in ice containers when it is supposed to be refrigerated to ensure that the seafood remains fresh.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s