Food Alert – Pepackaged salad products which might be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes
|Source of Information||The New Zealand authorities|
|Food Product||Prepackaged salad|
|Name of Importer|
|Product name and Description||Batch number: 857723
1) Product name: LEADERBRAND Fancy Leaf Continental
2) Product name: LEADERBRAND Tender Mesclun
3) Product name: LEADERBRAND Farm Fresh Ranchslaw
Batch number: 858294
1) Product name: LEADERBRAND Baby Spinach
2) Product name: LEADERBRAND Fancy Leaf Continental
3) Product name: LEADERBRAND Super Kale
4) Product name: LEADERBRAND Tender Mesclun
|Reason For Issuing Alert||– The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) has received a notification from the New Zealand authorities that certain kinds of prepackaged salad products produced by a New Zealand manufacturer, LeaderBrand Produce Ltd, might have been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and the manufacturer is recalling the affected products. According to the information provided by the New Zealand authorities, the above-mentioned seven kinds of affected products have been imported to Hong Kong by an importer, Lee Fish Asia Limited.
– Listeria monocytogenes can be easily destroyed by cooking but can survive and multiply at refrigerator temperatures. Most healthy individuals do not develop symptoms or only have mild symptoms like fever, muscle pain, headache, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea when infected. However, severe complications such as septicemia, meningitis or even death may occur in newborns, the elderly and those with a weaker immune system. Although infected pregnant women may just experience mild symptoms generally, the infection of Listeria monocytogenes may cause miscarriage, infant death, preterm birth, or severe infection in the newborns.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety||– Upon learning of the incident, the CFS immediately followed up with the importer concerned. The importer confirmed that about 39 kilograms of the above-mentioned products have been imported to Hong Kong and were only supplied to city’super supermarket for sale.
– The supermarket concerned has already stopped sale and removed from shelves the affected products.
– The CFS will continue to closely monitor the situation and take appropriate action to safeguard food safety and public health.
|Advice to the Trade||– Stop using or selling the products concerned immediately should they possess them.|
| Advice to Consumers
||– Not to consume the products concerned.|
|Further Information||The CFS press release
– The importer has initiated a recall. For enquiries about the recall, members of the public may call Lee Fish Asia Limited hotline at 2898 0520 during office hours.