Information -Cause of science fair food poisoning uncovered; it was the pork

News4Jax

MRSA Staphylococcus KSW Food World

CDC Photo

 

LAKE CITY, Fla. – The more than 30 concurrent cases of food poisoning at a science competition in Lake City on Saturday were caused by a toxin-producing bacteria in pulled pork.

The people were taken to a hospital Saturday for what officials believe was a food-borne illness contracted at a science fair held at Florida Gateway College.

Multiple agencies were called to College, where at least 28 minors attending the Florida Science Olympiad competition were suffering from food poisoning caused by Staphylococcus aureus.The bacteria was found in the pork at a level well above the standard cutoff threshold used to confirm a food borne illness outbreak. S. aureus is commonly found on the skin and hair as well as in the noses and throats of people and animals. These bacteria are present in up to 25 percent of healthy people and are even more common among those with skin, eye, nose, or throat infections, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s