The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) of the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department today (January 27) urged the public not to consume a batch of pork rillettes imported from France as the product was suspected to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The trade should also stop using or selling the product concerned immediately should they possess them.
A spokesman for the CFS said, “The CFS received a notification from the concerned French authorities that a batch of pork rillettes manufactured by Charcuterie Bordelaise, a French manufacturer, was suspected to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and the manufacturer initiated a recall of the affected product. According to information provided by the concerned French authorities, a local importer Classic Fine Foods (Hong Kong) Limited had imported the affected product into Hong Kong.”
Product details are as follows:
Product name: Rillettes pur porc
Lot number: 17009044
Use-by date: February 7, 2017
The spokesman said that upon learning of the incident, the CFS immediately followed up with the importer concerned. According to information provided by the importer, it had imported 2.37 kilograms of the above-mentioned product. All the product has been sold out with no remaining stock. The importer has initiated a recall. Members of the public may call the company’s hotline at 2612 2066 during office hours for enquiries about the recall. The CFS is also tracing the distribution of the affected product.
“Listeria monocytogenes can be easily destroyed by cooking but can survive and multiply at refrigerator temperatures. Most healthy individuals do not develop symptoms or only have mild symptoms like fever, muscle pain, headache, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea when infected. However, severe complications such as septicaemia, meningitis or even death may occur in newborns, the elderly and those with a weaker immune system. Although infected pregnant women may just experience mild symptoms generally, the infection of Listeria monocytogenes may cause miscarriage, infant death, preterm birth or severe infection in newborns,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman urged consumers who have bought the affected product not to consume it. The trade should also stop using or selling the product concerned immediately.
The CFS will alert the trade, continue to closely monitor the situation and take appropriate follow-up action. Investigation is ongoing.
Ends/Friday, January 27, 2017