A food supplier has been fined more than £275,000 after bacteria was found in its meat.
Carlisle-based Pioneer, which owns three butchers’ shops, admitted 11 health and safety breaches after listeria was found in cooked meats.
Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard the Rosehill estate firm supplied food to schools and hospitals.
The company said its shops had five-star hygiene ratings and the lapse in standards could “never” happen again.
A spokesman also said that no-one became ill as a result of the contaminated meat, adding: “Full product withdrawal was undertaken as a precautionary measure.”
Pioneer, which operates under the name of PFD Limited, was also ordered to pay costs of £28,907 and a victim surcharge of £120.