Spain – Legionnaires Outbreak – One Dead

Outbreak News Today 

 

 

Spain: Legionnaires’ disease outbreak at Cantabria resort sickens a dozen, one dead.

A Legionnaires’ disease outbreak at a northern Spain resort has affected at least a dozen people and killed one this summer, according to a local media report (computer translated).

The outbreak occurred at a resort in Lierganes, Cantabria, which prompted the closure of part of the facility.

Advertisements

Philippines – Diarrhoea Outbreak Kills Four

Outbreak News Today

Diarrhoea outbreak kills four in Palawan, prompts ‘state of emergency’

An gastroenteritis outbreak in the municipality of Quezon in southern Palawan has prompted a declaration of a “state of emergency”, according to a Philippine News Agency report.

According to the municipal disaster risk reduction and management office (MDRRMO), at least 727 people suffering from diarrhoea have been treated in the town’s only hospital since July, when the outbreak started.

In addition, four people have died as result of the outbreak–two in Barangay Malatgao, and one each from Barangays Alfonso XIII and Pinaglabanan.

Contaminated drinking water sources is the cause of the outbreak.

UK – Retailers to Self Report – Campylobacter

Poultry Med 

The Food Standards Agency will stop monitoring and publishing supermarkets selling chicken contaminated with Campylobacter. The decision by the FSA came after pressure from big stores. The official watchdog started publishing details on the proportion of chickens contaminated with campylobacter in 2014. The move was strongly resisted by supermarkets, which tried to block it with appeals to ministers amid concerns that it would hit sales. But the publication of figures went ahead and revealed that 78 per cent of chickens sold by the major supermarkets carried the bug. A total of 20 per cent were contaminated at a high level, making them a particular risk to the public. The tactic shamed the stores into cleaning up farms and changing chicken processing to reduce contamination. At the same time, retailers introduced ‘roast in the bag’ packs to protect customers. The net effect has been to reduce the proportion of birds carrying contamination to around 50 per cent, and those highly contaminated to 5 per cent. These falls appear to have been instrumental in a reduction of around 100,000 a year in the number of campylobacter food poisoning cases in humans. But now, after pressure from supermarkets and their trade body, the British Retail Consortium, the FSA has decided to stop publishing the contamination levels of the nine biggest retailers. Instead, it has reached an agreement with the BRC for supermarkets to publish a limited set of their own figures. Each store will report only the proportion of chickens that carry the highest level of contamination, not the higher figure showing overall contamination. The BRC will report the general level of contamination as an average across the industry once a year.

Hong Kong – Raw Oysters and Shellfish – PSP Toxin

CFS

Food Alert – Raw oysters and shellfish detected with paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) toxin

<!–

–>

Issue Date 2017-09-24
Source of Information The Australian authorities
Food Product Raw oysters and shellfish
Name of Importer
Product name and Description Raw oysters and shellfish harvested in Blackman Bay Lease 44 in Tasmania, Australia
Reason For Issuing Alert

– The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) notified by the Australian authorities that raw oysters harvested in Blackman Bay Lease 44 in Tasmania were detected with paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) toxin, and the oysters harvested from September 12 to 22 of 2017 from the harvested area concerned are being recalled.

– For the sake of prudence, the CFS has immediately suspended the import into and sale within Hong Kong of all raw oysters and shellfish harvested in the area‎.

– PSP toxin can cause symptoms such as numbness of mouth and limbs and gastrointestinal discomfort. In severe cases, paralysis with respiratory arrest and even death may occur. This natural toxin is sometimes found in bi-valve shellfish. It is heat-stable and cannot be destroyed through cooking.

Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety

– According to the information provided by the Australian authorities, a local importer, Oriole Food Company Limited, has imported some of the affected product into Hong Kong. The CFS immediately contacted the importer concerned for follow-up. The importer confirmed that 180 dozens of the affected raw oysters had been imported into Hong Kong and were sold out. – According to the information provided by the Australian authorities, a local importer, Oriole Food Company Limited, has imported some of the affected product into Hong Kong. The CFS immediately contacted the importer concerned for follow-up. The importer confirmed that 180 dozens of the affected raw oysters had been imported into Hong Kong and were sold out.

– The CFS has informed the Australian authorities of the import suspension and also notified the local trade. It will continue to follow up on the incident and take appropriate action to safeguard food safety and public health.

Advice to the Trade

– Stop selling the affected product should they possess it.
Advice to Consumers
– Not to consume affected product.
Further Information The CFS press release

The importer concerned has initiated a recall according to the CFS instructions. Members of the public may call the importer’s hotline at 2552 9266 during office hours for enquiries about the recall.

Information – Washing Raw Chicken

The Daily Meal Campylobacter kswfoodworld

Washing Your Chicken Will Turn Your Kitchen Into a Biohazard Zone

Washing your fruit? Absolutely. Washing your lettuce? Necessity. But running warm water over a slimy slab of raw chicken is just about the worst thing you can do with your kitchen sink.

In fact, it’s such a bad idea that the National Health Service (NHS) in Britain issued a public warning against the “sanitary” practice — claiming that “it can increase your risk of food poisoning from campylobacter bacteria.”

Chicken is one of the most commonly infected raw foods when it comes to foodborne bacteria such as salmonella. These bacteria lurk both on the surface and insides of the raw meat, growing indefinitely until you cook them dead. “Only a few campylobacter cells are needed to cause food poisoning,” the NHS says.

 

Spain – 105 People Poisoned – Histamine – Tuna – Suppliers Fraud

FIS.COM

105 people poisoned with histamine in tuna uncover suppliers’ fraud

The Civil Guard has investigated 7 people as alleged perpetrators of a crime against public health with food products, the crime of documentary misrepresentation and a crime related to consumers.

These were allegedly implicated and in different degrees of responsibility in the food poisoning of 105 people with histamine, after tuna (Thunnus albacares) consumption. This was bought in a fresh-thawed state from a company in Levante of Almeria, dedicated to the purchase and sale of this product.

Investigation start

The Civil Guard began the investigation of what happened last May, following the health alert issued by the Spanish Agency of Consumption, Food Safety and Nutrition (AECOSAN).

This alert was transferred within the framework of the national food alert network (Rapid Information Exchange Coordinated System) and Community (Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed), following histamine poisoning as a result of consumption of tuna, purchased in fresh-thawed condition from a company of Levante, in Almeria, dedicated to the purchase, sale and elaboration of this product.

The poisoning reached much of the national territory, Andalusia, Murcia, Valencia, Catalonia, Aragon, Castile and Leon, Madrid and the Basque Country, as well as of different countries of the European Union, Germany, France, Italy and Portugal.

 

 

Kenya – Students Sent Home – Food Poisoning

All Africa

More than 200 students from Kituro High School in Baringo County have been sent home over suspected food poisoning.

The students, who complained of stomach pains and headache, were treated at a Kituro health centre before being sent home.

The Principal Salina Rotich on Wednesday confirmed that the students were sent home on Monday and that some of them had returned after recovering